Being

So at the beginning of the year like the 'progressive' young woman that I am, I decided to come up with my new years's resolutions. I found it hard trying to come up with anything that made sense and I ended up settling for being kind to myself.

I remember getting into the new year in a drunken stupor and decided that being kind to myself would entail not taking to the wise waters for a period of a month as a way of detoxing, exercising daily, writing daily, eating healthy, investing in me time and taking time to be present. (By the way you are all welcome to hold me accountable)

So in this my first blog, i will share reflections i made on day three into the new year,so happy reading and expect more blogging from me, from the flowery soft issues to the hard core issues;

"The third day of the year, I woke up feeling at peace with myself and decided I was going to live. I realise, I have been living my life on behalf of others. The starting point in terms of living was letting go of hair, yes, I did it again, I cut my hair. The pleasure of pulling off braids and asking my child minder to cut the braids, from where the braid and the hair met and leaving home with my uneven unkempt hair to go to town without worrying what everyone thought was a wow for me. Looking at myself now, feeling the breeze on my head, how liberating.. I will not die an unlived life. Watch out for letting go and more living. A toast to 2014 and to living..."

So yes i did cut my hair after a short stint with braids and the most liberating feeling was getting into a kombi with my uneven and unkempt hair and not caring what the world thought. I came to the sad conclusion that we almost always live our lives using standards that have been set by others as opposed to setting our own standards. So i endured the stares, the shock on friends' faces and just smiled for i really felt like smiling.

To living and being in 2014....




Comments

  1. Cheers to living and being in 2014! Glad you decided to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you gal. go for it. decided the same myself and the rewards are priceless

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I came to the sad conclusion that we almost always live our lives using standards that have been set by others as opposed to setting our own standards." ndabatwa-batwa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uuum a toast to that! Live your life, life is too short to keep on worrying about what the next person thinks.....Looking forward to more reading, motivation and above all self introspection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment